After a crime

Privacy Notice

Data Protection Information

What does Catch22 do?

Catch22 is a social business, a not for profit business with a social mission. For over 200 years we have designed and delivered services that build resilience and aspiration in people and communities. Our 1600 colleagues work at every stage of the social welfare cycle, supporting 30,000 individuals from cradle to career. Today we deliver alternative education, apprenticeships and employability programmes, justice and rehabilitation services (in 22 prisons and in the community), gang’s intervention work, emotional wellbeing and substance misuse, and children’s social care programmes.

What does this service do?

 Hertfordshire Beacon is a service provided to anyone in Hertfordshire who has been affected by crime. We have a team of trained case managers to help you cope and recover from the impact of crime. This can include emotional and practical support, restorative practices and crime prevention advice and support.

What data/ information do we collect

 Below is a list of the data that we will/may process in the course of our contact with you and the lawful basis that applies to each processing activity:

  • Full name
  • Date of Birth
  • Address
  • Contact number
  • Email address
  • Crime type
  • Crime details
  • Demographic details e.g. gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, disabilities, geographical area you reside in
  • Parent/Carer details (if you are a young victim)

Why do we require your information?

 We require your information in order for us to remain in contact with you and maintain accurate records of the support you are receiving from Hertfordshire Beacon.

 We will not share this information with others without your explicit consent. The information we hold and process will be used by our staff for providing you with support only. We will keep and use it to enable us to run the business and manage  our relationship with you effectively, lawfully and appropriately. Your data is therefore captured and used whilst you receive support from Hertfordshire Beacon and at the time when your support ends with us.  

 The legal reasons for processing your information is as follows:

  • Individual Consent

 We may be required, by law or for the purpose of protecting others, to share your data:

  • Where you disclose information that poses a risk to yourself or others
  • In the interests of safeguarding children or vulnerable adults
  • Pursuant of the Terrorism Act 2000
  • Any information that threatens the security of the establishment
  • This information will be shared in compliance with legal obligation(s) and/or for your/others vital interests.


 - Public task


 This is the lawful basis to process personal data:


  • ‘in the exercise of official authority’. This covers public functions and powers that are set out in law; or
  • to perform a specific task in the public interest that is set out in law.

Where did we get your data from?

 The majority of the information we hold comes from you. Additionally though we will hold information that has come from other organisations that have referred you to our service with your consent, including: -

  • Hertfordshire Police
  • Other police forces if the crime happened outside of Hertfordshire
  • Action Fraud
  • Local authority
  • Other support organisations

 It is important to note that we will only contact you where it has been identified that you have given your explicit consent to the referring agency before they passed on your information to us.

Who will we share your information with?


 We will only disclose information about you to third parties if we are legally obliged to do so or where you have consented for your details to be passed on to another service for the purpose of support. We may share information about you with:

  • Safeguarding organisations (Social Service, the Police or any other Emergency Service) if you or anyone else is at risk of harm
  • Third party IT systems. Hertfordshire Beacon uses a case management system provided by Footwork Solutions for managing your case and keeping your details up to date.
  • Referral agencies (with your explicit prior consent)

How long will we hold on to your information for?

 We will only hold on to your information for as long as is necessary in order to provide you with a service. There may be legal reasons that require us to hold on to your information for a specified period of time. Please visit the privacy section on the Catch22 website for further details about how long Catch22 holds on to information for.

What happens if the information in the records is wrong?

 You will need to be specific about why you think the information is wrong and what you think we should do to correct it. If you can prove the information is incorrect, we will change it. If we cannot amend your record in the way you would like, we will explain the reason for this. You will be able to see a copy of your amended record.

What rights do you have over the information that we hold on your behalf?

You have several rights over your data that we are required by law to uphold. You have the following rights:

  • The right to access your data:
  • You have the right to request a copy of your information provided that your request is not unfounded or excessive. We are required to provide you with this within one month of your request. In order to request your data, please contact or
  • The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
  • You have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (body that regulates Data Protection) if you feel that we have not processed your data correctly and in accordance with relevant law. Please feel free to make us aware of any concerns that you have, we will look to fix any issues quickly and efficiently.
  • Please visit or call 0303 123 1113 in order to lodge a complaint with the regulator.


Talk to us

If you have any concerns about the way in which your information is used when working with us, please feel free to contact Catch22’s Data Protection Officers on the following email address or by using the contact details below.

Read More

Victim Information Booklet

This information booklet is designed to give an understanding of what to expect throughout your journey as a victim of crime. it outlines your rights and the contact and support you can expect to recieve from agencies within the Criminal Justice System.

Download the new Victim's Information Booklet

Read More

What Am I Entitled To?

As a victim of crime you are entitled to have access to support services, irrespective of whether you have reported a crime to the police or not.

The Victims Code of Practice defines a victim as:

  • A person who has suffered harm, including physical, mental or emotional harm or economic loss which was directly caused by criminal conduct and a close relative (spouse, partner, relatives, siblings or dependents) of a person whose death was directly caused by criminal conduct.

Entitlement to enhanced services

We know that not everyone requires extensive support or assistance. Sometimes, just knowing that support is there is enough. But for others, their personal circumstance can make them more in need of support.

Under the Victims’ Code of Practice those who are entitled to an enhanced service are:

  • victims of the most serious crime;
  • persistently targeted victims; and
  • vulnerable or intimidated victims.

If you belong to one or more of these groups and would like support please contact Beacon.

If you are unsure if you belong to one or more of these groups please see below for a more detailed explanation.


Victims' Code Priority Groups

1. Victims of the most serious crime

If you are a victim of:

  • Domestic abuse
  • Hate crime
  • Terrorism
  • Sexual offences
  • Human trafficking
  • Attempted murder
  • Kidnap
  • False imprisonment
  • Arson with intent to endanger life
  • Wounding or causing grievous bodily harm with intent

2. Persistently targeted victims

If you have been targeted on more than one occasion, over a period of time, particularly if you have been deliberately targeted or you are a victim of harassment or stalking.

3. Vulnerable or intimidated victims

Vulnerable victims

a) You are under the age of 18 years at the time of the offence, or

b) The quality of your evidence is likely to be affected because:

  • You suffer from a mental disorder within the meaning of the Mental Health Act 1983;
  • You have a learning disability;
  • You have a physical disability or are suffering from a physical disorder.

Intimidated victims

  • If the quality of your evidence will be affected because of your fear or distress about testifying in court.

When assessing whether a victim is intimidated, we take account of:

  • Fear or distress about appearing in court due to behaviour from the accused toward the victim
  • Sexual offences, human trafficking are automatically deemed as intimidated. Some gun and knife offences are also included
  • The victim’s age; social and cultural background; religious beliefs or political opinions; ethnic origin; domestic and employment circumstances.


Beacon Victim Care Centre Aims

Our service aims to help you to cope and recover from the impact of crime.

Our approach recognises the importance of ensuring that practical and emotional support is on hand and understands that your needs change over time.

Please also refer to our GET HELP section that provides links for specialist support organisations.


Contacting Beacon

If you feel that you are entitled to an enhanced service please call the Victim Care Centre on 03000 11 55 55 (option 3) between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and between 9am and 5pm on Saturdays.

A Case Manager will discuss your needs with you and, where appropriate, work with partners to provide a complete wrap around service to help you to cope and recover. All calls are treated confidentially.

Read More

Going To Court

If you’re a victim of a crime, or a witness to a crime in Hertfordshire, you may have to go to court to give evidence at the trial. We know how distressing this can be. At Beacon, our trained staff are here to help you before the hearing and on the day itself.

Quick Navigation

Before the trial

When the date of the trial is set, a witness care officer will tell you when and where it will happen. Your witness care officer works for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service and is assigned to look after you throughout the trial process.

You can contact the officer at any time for further information and support. This includes any help you may need with childcare and transport.

You can also visit the court before the day of the trial if you wish. You may find this helps you to feel less anxious as it’ll mean when the day of the trial arrives, you’ll be familiar with the court building. Your witness care officer will be happy to arrange a court visit for you.

If you need any special help, for example if you’re disabled and need help getting to court or moving about in the Court building, you should tell the witness care officer who will make the necessary arrangements for you.

Your Beacon contact will also be on hand to provide any help with transportation as well as advice and information. We want to ensure you feel as comfortable and confident with the process as possible, so if you have any questions you can always ask us.


Help with your expenses

Attending a hearing might leave you out of pocket as your employer doesn’t have to pay you for the time you’ll have to take off work. So, you may be able to claim some expenses which can include your travel to court, meals, loss of earnings and other financials such as childcare when you give evidence at a trial.


Making a claim

You should receive a witness expense claim form, a prepaid envelope and a list of your allowable expenses before the trial. If for any reason you haven’t received these, your solicitor or a court official should provide them for you. At Beacon, if you are eligable, we’ll help you complete and submit your expenses claim form.

Find out more about witness expenses and allowances.


Reviewing your statement

If you gave a statement to the police at the time of the crime, it’s possible that you may not remember it by the time of the trial. That’s no problem – you can ask the police to show it to you any time in the days and weeks before the trial.

If you’re appearing as a prosecution witness, you can ask the Crown Prosecution Service to let you see your statement.


At the trial

From the moment you arrive at the court, a member of the Witness Service will support you. They’ll be there for you during the whole process, whether you’re giving evidence or not.

If you want someone to go into the courtroom with you, the Witness Service will arrange this for you. They’ll also provide an interpreter if you asked for one.

Your interpreter will translate what people are saying and help you understand how the trial is going. They can’t represent you or give you any legal advice.


Before you’re called in

The prospect of facing the defendant as you wait to be called into the courtroom can be traumatic. For this reason, the court should give you a separate waiting room to the defendant and their family and friends.

If there isn’t a separate area, the court staff will make sure you’re safe. If anyone tries to intimidate you, tell your solicitor or the court staff. They’ll report it to the police.


Extra protection in the courtroom

If you’re under 18, disabled, afraid to give evidence or a victim of a sexual offence, the court can take extra steps to protect you.

They can put screens up in the courtroom to stop you seeing the defendant. Or they can arrange for you to give evidence via a live CCTV link.

If the case is about a sexual offence, the court may ask the public to leave the courtroom when you give evidence.

These measures are provided to ensure that vulnerable people are protected. If you’d like extra protection, speak to the police officer, witness care officer or the solicitor who asked you to come to court.


Special Measures

Most people don't see the inside of a courtroom unless they’re called as a witness or asked to sit on a jury. Courtrooms are formal places, which can make being a witness quite daunting, This is especially true for children, young witnesses and anyone being threatened. If you feel this way, the Witness Care Team can offer assitance to make you feel safe and secrue, there are a number of Special Measures that they can ask the court to grant. 

These include:

  • putting up screens that block you and the defendant from seeing each other 
  • letting you give evidence from outside the courtroom through a live video link. This takes away the stress of going to court and having to face the defendant. You’ll still be able to see and hear court proceedings while you give evidence, even though you’re not in the room. You can have someone from the witness service with you, if you wish
  • pre-recording your evidence on video  
  • asking members of the court to remove their gowns and wigs to make them look less formal
  • providing someone to help you give evidence. You may be able to use sign boards if you have difficulty speaking English
  • providing an interpreter if you don’t speak English 


When you can have special measures

You may be eligible for special measures if you’re a victim of a serious crime, are vulnerable or have been intimidated.


Witness Service

The witness service will give you free support before and during the trial. This will help to reduce stress in the period before the hearing and make you more aware of the whole process. It’s also designed to make you feel valued and respected as you prepare for what is a vital civic duty.

Run by Citizens Advice, the witness service is available to anyone called to give evidence. Every year, it helps thousands of people like you play their part in bringing criminals to justice and making us all safer.

You can call Citizens Advice on 0300 332 1000.


The Witness Charter

The Witness Charter tells you what to expect if you witness a crime or incident. In it, you’ll find what help and support you’ll receive at every stage of the process.


Your Victim Personal Statement

The Victim Personal Statement (VPS) is your opportunity to say how a crime has affected you. This could be physically, emotionally, financially or in any other way. It’s different from a witness statement, which is about what you saw or heard at the time. When you make your VPS you are able to say whether or not you would like to have it read aloud or played (if recorded), in court if the suspect is found guilty. You are also able to say whether you would like it read aloud by someone else. If your VPS is read aloud in court it could be reported by any media who may be present. If you are initially unsure about making a VPS when you are giving a witness statement about what happened, you may choose to make a VPS at a later time-provided this is before the case comes to court or the suspect is sentenced.

The VPS is your voice in the criminal justice process.

You can make a VPS when you give your witness statement to the police. Even if you’re not asked for a witness statement you can still make a VPS if you’re:

  • intimidated or vulnerable, have been persistently targeted or are the victim of a serious crime
  • the parent or guardian of a young victim of crime
  • a close relative of someone who died as the result of a crime

You can’t change a VPS, once you’ve signed it, nor can you use it to say what punishment you think the defendant should receive. However, you can give the police another VPS if you want to add new information. The decision as to who reads out the VPS is ultimately for the court, but it will always take into account your choice, and follow them unless there is a good reason not to. If you do not want your VPS read aloud yourself or have it read aloud on your behalf, you do not have to choose this option. Your VPS will still be considered as part of the sentence before the court prior to sentencing if the defendant is found guilty. If at first you choose to to have your VPS read aloud but later decide you do not want this you can change your mind. 

At Beacon, we’ll help you prepare your Victim Personal Statement.



Read More

Restorative Justice

Restorative Justice

Restorative justice is a service that aims to repair the harm caused from a crime. Under the Victims Code of Practice all victims of crime have a right to receive information about restorative justice.

The process can bring a victim and an offender together to communicate in a variety of ways and give victims a voice!

It can give victims of crime the chance to have their say, explain the effect on themselves and seek a direct explanation from the offender about what they did. Through this the offender can begin to understand the impact of their behaviour.

Restorative justice does not replace the criminal justice system but helps to deal with the emotions related to the crime. It can be a means of closure or way to move on for the victim.

Restorative justice works alongside criminal justice proceedings and most victims tell us it helps. In fact, 85 per cent of victims of crime who have used restorative justice were satisfied with the process. And 78 per cent would recommend it to others.

How restorative justice works

Restorative justice can only take place when the offender has been identified and accepted guilt.

It doesn’t just happen when a court case has taken place; it is available when a victim is ready.

To start with, there’ll be a meeting between the victim and a trained facilitator.

At the meeting, the victim can explain:

  • what happened
  • how it affected them
  • what might make them feel better about it

If appropriate, the facilitator may then suggest communication between the victim and the offender. They’ll take their wishes and any concerns into account and treat both parties’ emotional and physical safety as a top priority.

The next step will be for the facilitator to speak to the offender about what happened and their understanding of the harm that was caused. They will then be asked if they would like the opportunity to communicate with the victim.

If the facilitator doesn’t feel a face to face meeting is a good idea, they’ll let the victim and/or the offender know and explain why. Instead of a meeting, if appropriate, the facilitator may be able to convey a message from the victim to the offender.

The facilitator will be a specialist in providing restorative justice and trained in supporting victims of crime. The service is completely confidential and impartial.

Restorative Justice Referrals

​If you are interested in restorative justice and would like to find out more, please contact the Beacon team at: ​or call on 0300 011 5555 (Option 4).

If you are a professional looking to refer a client for restorative justice please contact the email address or phone number above for a referral form.

Read More

Your Questions Answered

At Beacon, we understand that being a victim of a crime is distressing. It also brings you into areas of the criminal justice system that you’ll probably have never needed to know about before. Here, we’ve answered the questions people ask us most often. If you have a question that we’ve not answered, call us on 03000 11 55 55 (option3) or e-mail us at

Quick Navigation


I want help but I don’t want to report the crime

You may, for various reasons, prefer not to report a crime to the police. But at Beacon, we’ll still offer you our full support if you’ve been a victim of crime.


What happens after I report a crime?

Once you've reported a crime, the police will investigate it.

They may ask you for more information to help them do this. This could involve visiting you at home or inviting you to the police station. If the crime happened on the street, they may just speak to you at the scene.

If you're injured, and have to go to hospital, the police may visit you there.

A uniformed officer will most likely be the first person you speak to from the police. If the offence is a sexual crime or one of a sensitive nature, you can ask to with speak to an officer of your own gender.

The police will ask you for a statement. This will help them build a picture of what happened.

Police officers receive special training in interviewing victims and witnesses. Sometimes though, it can take them some time to gather all the information they need. They understand that interviews can be distressing, so you can ask for a break at any time.

The police may need to speak to you more than once. This may be to check information and find more evidence, such as:

  • descriptions of people involved
  • descriptions or names of any witnesses
  • registration numbers of any vehicles. This includes vehicles that weren’t involved in the incident, as their drivers or occupants may have seen something
  • descriptions, identifying marks or serial numbers of any stolen property


What about evidence?

Sometimes, the police will need evidence from the scene of the crime. How they gather this can vary depending on the type of the crime and how serious it was. 

For example, trained scenes of crime officers may take fingerprints or photographs.

The police know that having fingerprints or other samples taken can be stressful or embarrassing. It's part of their job to make this as easy as possible for you.

If you’ve been injured in an attack, the police also may need to collect medical evidence. This will help them build their case and prove in court what happened to you and how. 

What are my rights following a crime?

If you're a victim of a crime, the police will give you a Crime Reference Number. They'll also give you the contact details for the police officer dealing with your case.

You can use these details to contact the police officer for updates about the investigation. At Beacon, we can support you to do this if you're having trouble contacting the police officer.

You’ll also need the Crime Reference Nmber if you need to make an insurance claim.


What happens during the police investigation?

We, together with the police, will update you at least once a month on the progress of the case until it’s closed. The police will also let you know within five days if someone is:

  • arrested
  • charged
  • released, including on bail
  • given a caution, reprimand, final warning or penalty notice

If you report a crime and the police aren't able to investigate it, they'll tell you within five days. If they drop an investigation, they'll let you know and tell you why.

You may be able to get information quicker and have other rights if you are:

  • the victim of a serious crime
  • persistently targeted
  • vulnerable
  • intimidated

What does the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) do?

When the police complete their investigation, they’ll pass the information to the CPS.  The CPS decides if there’s enough evidence to take the case to court.

If the CPS drops the case or alters the charge, they'll usually tell you within five days.

They’ll also tell you how to request a review of the decision through the Victims’ Right to Review Scheme. You can do this within seven days. We’ll help you through this process.


What is a Victim Personal Statement?

Your Victim Personal Statement gives you a voice in the criminal justice process.

It allows you to tell the court and, where applicable, the parole board, how the crime has affected you, or your family. If the defendant is found guilty, you can read your statement aloud in court or have it read out on your behalf.

At Beacon, we’ll help you write your Victim Personal Statement.


What privacy am I entitled to?

The police might ask the media to help them with the investigation. This could mean passing on some information about the case. However, in most cases, they'll ask for your permission first.

If you’ve been the victim of a sexual crime, your privacy is protected by law. It's illegal for anyone to publish your name, photograph or anything else that could identify you.


Can I report crime anonymously?

Yes, by calling Crimestoppers free on 0800 555 111.

Crimestoppers will ask questions about the crime you're calling about, but not about you.

For extra reassurance, you can dial 141 before calling 0800 555 111. This will withhold your phone number and make your call untraceable. Calls to 0800 numbers don't show up on a BT or cable phone bill.

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously from a phone box or give information online.


Contacting Beacon

You can call us in complete confidence on 03000 11 55 55 (option 3) or e-mail us at


Read More

What We Do

At The Beacon Victim Care Centre, our main focus is to help victims cope and recover from their experience with crime. If needed, our team of dedicated and trained professionals can be there to support you every step of the way.

Firstly, if you have reported the crime to the police, you will automatically be contacted by the Victim Service Team. They will tell you about:

  • Your Crime Reference Number
  • What happens next
  • The services available to you

They will also ask how you would like to be notified of progress with your crime and how often you would like to be updated.

Additionally, they will find out you whether you are entitled to additional support from our Beacon Victim Care Team and ask you whether you would like it. Under the Victims' Code of Practice, some victims have personal circumstances that entitle them to additional support. You can find out more about enhanced support here. If you are not entitled to additional support under the Victims Code of Practice, you can still contact our Beacon Victim Care Team at any time to arrange practical help or emotional support.

Anyone who is entitled to, or feels they need our support, is assigned a Case Manager. Your Case Manager will undertake a needs assessment with you, which will help assess what impact the crime has had on you and your life. They then develop a support plan based on what you might need, and what support we can offer. Where necessary, we can refer you on to other services who have specialist skills and knowledge, however, rest assured this will only happen if you give your approval.

If you have been a victim of a crime and would like support but you do not want to report the crime to the police you are still entitled to the services Beacon can provide.

To access our Beacon Victim Care Team support, you can contact us using the contact details provided below. Please be assured your enquiry will be handled sensitively and in confidence.

Read More